On January 3, the North Dakota Legislative Session began with the Governor giving his State of the State speech. Since then, your membership with North Dakota Association of Builders has been hard at work, representing your interests.
Through numerous discussions with our Government Affairs Committee and eventual adoption by our Board of Directors, our NDAB members have developed policy for 2023. This policy highlights their concerns on issues that may be addressed during the upcoming legislative session. NDAB is currently tracking and working on bills that ensure that the home-building industry continues to thrive in the state; maintain access to safe, decent and affordable housing; preserve a balanced tax structure that adequately pays for essential and mandated services; and further encourage the development of workforce for the industry.
Some of those bills are:
- HB 1106 and 1107 – Shapes how an appraiser that works for an Appraisal Management Company is licensed and regulated in this state.
- HB 1163 – Provides for another pathway to graduation through an alternative career and tech-focused high school curriculum.
- HB 1188 -- Prohibits service agreements that offer cash for long term listing agreements.
- HB 1180 -- Exempts cities that provide their own electrical inspections from the state board’s jurisdiction and inspections.
- HB 1199 -- Provides an appropriation/line of credit to the Department of Career and Tech Ed for the statewide area and career center initiative grant program; gives authorization to Bank of North Dakota to provide line of credit.
Currently we’re monitoring and working about 40 out of about 1,000 introduced bills. And this number is sure to grow, as the deadline for all bills is not until closer to the end of the month.
If you’d like get signed up for our weekly legislative updates, please contact me at email@example.com. We look forward to continuing to be your voice at the ND Legislature.